Friday, October 16, 2015

I wanted to make some colored slip to use on my gelli plates, and here is the recipe that I used:

1/2 cup Pinnell White Slip
1 heaping Tablespoon Mason stain
1 1/2 Tablespoon Karo syrup  (helps the stain stick to the paper)
1/2 to 3/4 cup water

I was having problems getting the slip to stick to the newsprint, so I added Karo.  Now it sticks very well, but I can't do multiple layers because it also sticks to the next layer's stencil.  So I've been doing only single-layer prints, and I'll combine them on the clay.

I'm using encapsulated stains on cone 10 clay.  We'll see what happens when this stuff gets fired.


Here's the slip recipe:


Source: http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/claytimes/2011spring/index.php?startid=21


I've also seen it called "Pete Pinnell's Forgiving White Slip," which seems pretty accurate for something that fires in such a wide range.  But if you read the article, Kona F-4 "begins to actively melt at mid-range temperatures (cone 5-7)."  Maybe that's why it has worked for me the few times I've used it.  Until now, I've been throwing work into studio cone 10 firings, and the Kona is completely melted at that point.

Note:  Mix to a thick glaze consistency.  It defloccuates overnight, so wait until the next day to add additional water.  I didn't add any extra water to it before using it for my gelli slip recipe.

Just so I have it later, here is his low-fire version:

Pete Pinnell's White Slip (low-fire)
40 OM4
40 Talc
10 Silica
10 Nepheline Syenite
-------------------------
100

+10 Frit 3124
+7 Zircopax

(You can also add a few drops of sodium silicate - a deflocculant that helps reduce viscosity and makes the slip easier to apply with a slip bottle.)

Source:  http://www.meaganchaneygumpert.com/BlogRetrieve.aspx?PostID=325621&A=SearchResult&SearchID=3714699&ObjectID=325621&ObjectType=55#.ViE3-flVhBc

No comments:

Post a Comment