Wednesday, June 1, 2016

I'm heading out to visit Mike and Saybel and the kids, so I've done some simple pieces for the granddarlings to decorate.  I used B-Mix with grog as the clay body, and I'll bisque them on Friday or Saturday.  I'm going to give the tumblers a coat of Pinnell slip, then cover them with a clear glaze.

[pics]

The kids can use sharpie oil paint pens to color their own cup, and then we'll bake the cups in the oven to set the paint.  If we do it according to the instructions (https://somethingturquoise.com/2015/01/13/diy-sharpie-mug-engagement-gift/), the paint should be permanent.



I did a few birds so that I could have a present for Gina's birthday, as well as something fun to try my gelli print decals on.  I also saw a cute wind chime on Pinterest that I copied for the kids to paint for Mike for Father's Day.  I'm hoping to hike around with them and find a stick to use as a frame to hang the pieces on.

[pic]

So far, I've made do with simple Laguna cone 6 glazes, but I really want to start mixing my own glazes again.  I decided to start with some basic mid-range glazes from http://ceramicartsdaily.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/15Cone6-GlazeRecipesNEW1.pdf

I'm starting with this one, because I have the components on hand already:

N502 Transparent and Glossy
Cone 5

  • Gillespie Borate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 %
  • F-4 Feldspar . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 46.
  • EPK Kaolin . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 13
  • Silica . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
  • 100%


I'm going to have to use gerstly borate and the feldspar I already have.  I'll start with direct substitutions and make corrections as I go along.  I really like the idea of being able to add colorants as desired.  Here are the test results from CAD:


Next on the shopping list: copper carbonate and strontium carbonate.

I plan to try the firing schedule from CAD: http://ceramicartsdaily.org/free-gifts/electric-kiln-firing-techniques-and-tips-inspiration-instruction-and-glaze-recipes-for-electric-ceramic-kilns/

1st segment – 50°F/hour to 220°F
2nd segment – 250°F/hour to 2167°F
3rd segment – cool down 150°F/hour to 1500°F

I'm looking forward to seeing the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment